How To make Basundi Recipe
- Full-fat milk – 2 lts
- Sugar – 1/2 cup (you can reduce by another tbsp)
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Saffron – 7-8 strands (soaked in 2 tbsps of warm milk)
- Pistachios – fistful
- Almonds – 7-8, blanched and peeled
- Chironji – 1/2 tbsp
- Silver the blanched almonds, chop the pistachios and set aside.
- Boil milk in a large heavy bottomed wide vessel on high flame. Once it comes to a boil, reduce flame to low and allow to simmer for 12-15 mths, stirring in intervals of 3 mts.
- Add sugar at this point and keep stirring constantly. You will see that the milk thickens. This could take 45 to 50 mths.
- Add cardamom powder and mix well. Turn off flame and allow to cool down slightly. Remove to a serving bowl.
- Garnish with the chopped nuts and saffron strands.
- Ladle into serving bowls and serve warm. You can even chill the rabdi and serve it chilled.
- Use a heavy bottomed vessel while making basundi.
- Full-fat milk is best for a rich, creamy flavor. You can use 2% milk but it will be less creamy.
- You refrigerate for 4-7 days or freeze it for a few weeks.
- f you are serving chilled basundi, reduce the boiling time of milk by 10-12 mts as basundi will thicken on cooling.
Share your vote!