Chettinadu (Kozhi) Kuzhambu Recipe
Do you love spicy delicious curries paired with hot steaming rice? I love all chicken curries. Wonderful blend of spices makes the curry so flavourful. Im prepare about half a dozen of chicken curry variations and all of them are my absolute favourite. Talking about spicy food, the first thing that comes to my mind is robust flavours of Chettinadu preparations. Today’s recipe is Chettinadu kozhi kozhumbhu. This deliciously spicy chicken curry is packed with flavours and is sure to tickle your taste buds. You will love it.
- 500 grams chicken pieces
- 1-1/2 cup shallots(baby onions), chopped
- 1 big tomatoes, chopped
- 2 spring curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 4 dried red chilies
- 3 green chilies
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder + 1/2 teaspoon extra
- 1 teaspoon roasted fennel powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 2 tablespoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1/2 cup tamarind juice
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoon oil
- Water as required
- Coriander leaves for garnish
Directions for Chettinadu (Kozhi) Kuzhambu Recipe (Chettinadu Chicken Curry)
- To begin making the Chettinadu (Kozhi) Kuzhambu recipe, clean the chicken thoroughly and wash them in water for 3 to 4 times. Then add about 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder and water until chicken in fully immersed and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then drain the turmeric water and marinate with little salt. This step of washing chicken in turmeric water will reduce the smell in the chicken.
- In a wok/kadai, add oil. First add finely chopped shallots and sauté till onions turn soft. Then add ginger garlic paste and cook till the raw smell of the paste is gone. Add fennel seeds, curry leaves, dried red chilies, green chilies and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and cook till tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
- Now add the marinated chicken and let it cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add all the spice powders, mix well. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Now add salt and about 1/2 cup water. Cover and cook until chicken is 3/4 cooked.
- Now add tamarind juice, mix well and continue to cook on low flame for about 10 minutes.
- Finally add chopped fresh coriander leaves and curry leaves. Turn off flame. Serve hot.
Serve Chettinadu (Kozhi) Kuzhambu Recipe along with Steamed Rice or Tawa Parathas for a weekday lunch or dinner.