Dal Fara Recipe (Indian Stuffed Lentil Dumplings)
- 4 cup safed urad dal
- 1 cup chana dal
- 1 cup butter dal (optional)
- Wheat flour/rice flour as required
- 1/2 teaspoon sabod jeera
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/3 teaspoon turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- A pinch of asafoetida (Hing)
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves
- 2 green chilies (adjust according to your taste) paste
- Salt as required
- Oil as required
- 1/2 teaspoon jeera
- 8 to 10 curry leaves
- Pinch of asafoetida (Hing)
- Few sprigs of coriander leaves, chopped
Directions for Dal Fara Recipe (Indian Stuffed Lentil Dumplings)
- To begin making the Dal Fara Recipe, soak the urad dal, chana dal and butter dal for four to five hours.
- Make a coarsely ground yet fine paste of all dals in a mixer grinder. Now mix the dry masalas, garlic and chilies paste and salt as required. (Add salt only when you are all ready to fill the paste in the puri else it will become watery)
- Add red chilly powder according to your taste.
- Meanwhile prepare the dough by adding rice flour, water, and salt. Make thick pure out of the dough and add the dal paste on one side of the puri and cover with the other side.
- Cook the far in a steamer for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- After 20 to 30 minutes, when it is cooked, switch off the stove and allow the fara to cool down.
- The next step is to temper the faras. Heat oil in a kadhai/wok and add jeera, curry leaves, and hing. Let the jeera crackle and then add fara and stir for a bit.
- Once it is done, garnish with fresh coriander and it is ready to be served.
- Serve Dal Fara on its own with Tomato Garlic Chutney or as a side dish with your delicious North Indian meal.
Share your vote!