Italian veggie cottage pie
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 aubergines, cut into chunks
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 16 sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped, plus 1 tbsp of their oil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 400g spinach, washed
- 50g plain flour
- 400ml milk
- 125g cheddar, grated, plus extra to top
- 800g ready-made mashed potato (fresh not frozen)
Method For Italian veggie cottage pie
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large, lidded frying pan or flameproof casserole dish. Cook the aubergine, in two batches, over a high heat for 4-5 mins until golden, adding extra oil as you need to. Return all the aubergine to the pan with the garlic, tomatoes, and 1 1/2 tsp oregano and cook for 1 min. Stir in the spinach put the lid on the pan and leave for a few mins to wilt.
- Add the flour and stir through until combined. Pour in the milk, stir gently and bring to the boil. Bubble for a few mins, then stir in the cheese and season. Cook until the cheese has melted and the sauce has thickened.
- Mix the mash with the remaining oregano and spread over the filling. Scatter over a little more grated cheese and bake for 10-15 mins until golden.
Share your vote!