Moong Sprouts Usal Recipe (Indian Salad Chaat)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of grated ginger
- juice from 2 lemons
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon goda masala
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 2 cup moong sprouts
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- salt to taste
- oil for cooking
Directions for Moong Sprouts Usal Recipe (Indian Salad Chaat)
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a heavy bottomed pan on medium heat; add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and allow it to crackle. Stir in the asafoetida and stir for a few seconds. To this add in the chopped onion, green chilies, ginger, garlic and saute until the onions turn translucent.
- At this stage, stir in the moong sprouts, along with the chopped tomatoes, carrots, and the remaining dry spices, along with the sugar and salt to taste. Stir fry to combine all the ingredients well.
- At this stage, you could cover the pan and with the heat on low, cook for about 4 to 5 minutes until the sprouts are lightly softened or you can keep the sprouts fresh like a salad.
- Garnish the Moong Sprouts Salad (Usal) with chopped coriander leaves and serve as a salad or along with some hot steamed rice.
- You can also serve the Moong Sprouts Usal as a chaat dish by adding a few papdi’s, chutneys and sew on the top.
Share your vote!