How To Make Potato Puff Pastry Recipe
- 2 medium potatoes, boiled
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese, small cubes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- sprig of cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
- 2 green chillies, crushed
- 1 teaspoon oil
- Salt as required
For the dough
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, for dusting
- 250 grammes unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoon white vinegar/lime juice
- Salt as required
Directions for Potato Puff Pastry Recipe
- To begin with Potato Puff Pastry, In a mixing bowl sieve all-purpose flour with 1/4 teaspoon salt, white vinegar or lime juice and mix everything well.
- Add 60 grammes of unsalted butter and mash with your hands. Mix all the ingredients by rubbing between your palms.
- Now add cold water, little at a time to make a dough. Sprinkle some all purpose flour on working surface and knead dough for 7 minutes without adding water.
- Transfer the dough in a plastic or cling wrap and refrigerate it for about 20 minutes.
- Take 2 sticks of unsalted butter (approximately 200 grammes and make sure butter is cold but not at room temperature) preferably on a cling wrap and roll it with rolling pin and make a rectangular sheet (approx. 12 inch wide & 14 inch long). Refrigerate it for 20 minutes.
- Take out dough from refrigerator and lightly dust working surface with all purpose flour and roll dough into a sheet. Place butter sheet in the centre of the dough sheet and remove cling wrap. Cover the butter sheet with dough by folding the dough sheet from all the sides on top of the butter sheet.
- Sprinkle some all purpose flour on the sheet and flip it. Sprinkle some more all purpose flour and roll the sheet again.
- Try to roll as even as possible. Now brush off extra flour from the sheet using a brush. Fold the sheet from left to the centre and again fold the sheet from right to the centre overlapping each other (brush off the extra flour).
- Cover it with cling wrap, place it in a tray and refrigerate it for 20 minutes.
- Take out the sheet from the refrigerator, remove the cling wrap, sprinkle some all purpose flour on the working station, place the sheet and roll it again. Brush off any extra all purpose flour using a brush.
- Fold the sheet from left to the centre and again fold the sheet from right to the centre overlapping each other. Cover it with cling wrap and refrigerate it for 20 minutes. Repeat this step 3 more times.
- The next step is to prepare the stuffing. Heat a wide pan on medium heat and add oil.
- In hot oil add cumin seeds, crushed coriander seeds, chopped ginger and green chillies. Saute for about 30 seconds and add chopped onion.
- Again saute everything until onion turns translucent. Add turmeric powder, garam masala, chaat masala and mix well.
- Add small cubes of paneer and mix everything well. Add 1/4 teaspoon of black salt and few pinches of regular salt as per taste. Stir for 30 seconds and add boiled potatoes. Crush boiled potatoes to small chunks and mix well.
- Turn off the heat and add chopped cilantro leaves. Mix everything well and the stuffing is ready.
- Take out the sheet from the refrigerator, remove the cling wrap, sprinkle some all purpose flour on working station, place the sheet, put some all purpose flour on the sheet and roll it again. Try to roll it as even as possible. Once the sheet is completely rolled, cut the sides using a knife or pizza cutter to make it look like a perfect square/rectangle. Using knife/pizza cutter, you should be able to cut nine equal pieces from the sheet.
- Now take one of the nine pieces and put 1 tablespoon filling in the centre. Lift top right corner and join it with left bottom corner. Seal it completely by pinching the edges together.
- Take out a baking tray and put the ready puffs to bake onto the tray. Bake it at 450F/230C for first 6 minutes in an oven. Then, bake it at 350F/175C for 14 minutes. After 20 minutes, the crispy, flaky and puffed up aloo patties are ready to be served.
- Serve Potato Puff Pastry as a tea time snack with Hot masala chai or you can even pack this in your kid’s snack box.
Share your vote!